Realtime Rack Support Information
This page is dedicated to Soundcraft Realtime Rack software support and compatibility. The following information is subject to change and may not always be up to date due to computer OS and Vi console updates, or other factors beyond our control.
Last Updated: February 26, 2014Jump to:
|Latest News & Updates||System Requirements|
Latest Technical News
- Important: System requirements, and the wiring required for multi-unit systems, differs from the Getting Started sheet included in the retail package with early units. For updated wiring diagrams, see the Quick Start section below, "Chapter 3: System Setup" in the Realtime Rack Manual, or download the updated sheet here.
- The current (and only) software release for Realtime Rack is UAD v7.4.3. If the "Check for Updates" button in the UAD Meter & Control Panel application is clicked, it will erroneously report that an update is available.
- The latest UAD plug-ins released with UAD v7.5 (UA 610 Tube Preamp & EQ Collection and Dangerous BAX EQ Plug-In Collection) are not available for Realtime Rack.
- Realtime Rack is sold and distributed by Soundcraft. Contact Soundcraft to obtain Realtime Rack.
- Please review the information on this page carefully before installing or using Realtime Rack.
- This page is routinely updated with the latest support information as it becomes available.
- For Realtime Rack software, click here.
About Realtime Rack Support
Technical support for Realtime Rack is separated by areas of functionality. Support for Realtime Rack hardware and Vi console integration is provided by Soundcraft, while support for Realtime Rack software is provided by Universal Audio.
Soundcraft Support: Vi Series Consoles and Realtime Rack Hardware
Contact Soundcraft to obtain technical support for the configuration and operation of Vi Series consoles, including how to setup and operate Vi Series consoles with Realtime Rack.
Soundcraft Tech Support (UK)
Soundcraft Tech support (USA)
Universal Audio Support: Realtime Rack Software
Universal Audio provides free technical support for Realtime Rack software (including UAD Powered Plug-Ins) to all registered users. Support specialists are available to assist you via email and telephone during our normal business hours, which are from 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday, Pacific Standard Time.
UA Telephone Support
- USA toll-free: +1-877-698-2834
- International: +1-831-440-1176
UA Online Support
- To request online support via email, click here.
Getting Started Sheet
- Realtime Rack includes a printed Getting Started sheet in the retail package. To download the Getting Started sheet, click here.
- Important: System requirements, and the wiring required for multi-unit systems, differs from the Getting Started sheet included in the retail package with early units. For updated wiring diagrams, see the Quick Start section below, "Chapter 3: System Setup" in the Realtime Rack Manual (available below), and/or download the revised sheet.
Realtime Rack Software Documentation
After software installation, all Realtime Rack operation manuals are at this location on the startup drive:
- Macintosh HD/Applications/Universal Audio/
Tip: After software installation, user manuals can also be accessed by clicking the "View Documentation" button in the Help panel within the UAD Meter & Control Panel application.
Realtime Rack operation manuals can also be downloaded here:
- Realtime Rack Manual – Complete operation guide for Realtime Rack hardware and software
- UAD Plug-Ins Manual – Specific details about individual UAD Powered Plug-Ins
Soundcraft Vi Series Consoles Documentation
- To download Soundcraft product documentation, click here.
Requirements for the Realtime Rack System
- Realtime Rack hardware unit
- Apple Mac computer with available Thunderbolt 1 or 2 port
- Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
- 1.3 gigabytes available disk space
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- Apple Thunderbolt cable for each Realtime Rack (cable not included)
- (2) MADI optical SC cables for each Realtime Rack (cables not included)
- Cat 5 Ethernet cable (cable not included)
- Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (adapter not included)
Note: The Realtime Rack software application is fully qualified with 1440 x 900 and higher display resolutions. However, no issues were exposed during our brief tests with the 11" Macbook Air with 1366 x 768 display resolution.
Quick Start: Installation, Registration, & Authorization
Quick Start Overview
- Follow the steps below to setup Realtime Rack.
- For a short video of the setup process, click here.
- Setup includes connecting the hardware, installing the software, and authorization to claim included UAD plug-ins.
- For more detailed explanations, see the Realtime Rack Manual.
Connect to Computer, Vi Console, and Power
Use the illustration below as a guide for system wiring.
- Connect a Thunderbolt cable (sold separately) between Realtime Rack and the Mac computer.
- Connect the included power cable between Realtime Rack and an AC outlet.
- Apply power to Realtime Rack using the integrated power switch on the rear panel's power receptacle.
- Connect Realtime Rack to the Vi console via MADI and Ethernet.
To install the Realtime Rack software, follow these steps:
- Click here and download the software installer. The installer file is downloaded to the disk location specified in the web browser's preferences. You can watch the Realtime Rack Start Video that appears after clicking the download button to help you get started.
- Double-click the installer file to launch it. The installer will guide you through the process.
- After restarting the computer, proceed to Registration & Authorization below to complete the setup process.
Note: If prompted to update the Realtime Rack firmware, click "OK" then wait for confirmation that the update is complete (see below for more firmware update details).
About Firmware Updates
- Firmware updates for the Realtime Rack hardware may be included within the software to enhance system functionality. For optimum results, always update the firmware by clicking "OK" if prompted by the software.
- After "OK" is clicked and the firmware is installed, a notification appears. After the notification, completely power off the Realtime Rack hardware. The first time power is reapplied, the hardware will take an extra 20–30 seconds to initialize, after which the firmware update process is complete.
- The Realtime Rack software prompts for firmware updates automatically (if available).
Important: Do not interrupt system power during any firmware update routines.
Registration & Authorization
After software installation and restart, follow the steps below. Realtime Rack must be connected and powered during this process.
- Launch the UAD Meter & Control Panel
To open the application, click its icon in the Mac OS X Dock.
- Open the UAD Meter's Plug-Ins Panel
To access the panel, first click the menu button in the UAD Meter window (1), then select “Plug-Ins...” from the drop menu (2).
- Click the “Authorize Plug-Ins” Button
The button is located in the Plug-Ins panel (see #2 above).
- Download the Authorization File
Click the blue “Download Authorizations” button on the final registration page if the file does not download automatically. The file is downloaded to the location specified in the web browser's preferences.
- Load the Authorization File
Double-click the downloaded auth.uad2 file. After a few moments the Authorization Status window appears and Realtime Rack is ready for use!
Your web browser will connect to the UA online store and our web pages will guide you through the process of process of creating an account, registering your hardware, and claiming bundled UAD Powered Plug-Ins.
Refer to the Realtime Rack Manual to learn how to configure the system, use the Realtime Rack application, and more.
Explore Realtime Rack
- Launching Realtime Rack
To open the application, click its icon in the Mac OS X Dock.
- Explore the interface
For complete Realtime Rack details, see the Realtime Rack Manual.