This page is dedicated to general compatibility information for all Universal Audio digital products. The following information is subject to change and may not always be up to date due to OS and DAW updates, or other factors beyond our control.
Last Updated: February 25, 2014
|Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks compatibility|
|New Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013) compatibility|
|Before connecting to new Mac Pro (Late 2013)|
|More Compatibility Information|
UAD-2 and Apollo compatibility with Mac OS X Mavericks
About OS X 10.9 Mavericks Compatibility
All Apollo and UAD-2 devices are fully tested and compatible with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks when using UAD v7.4.2 and higher.
Important compatibility information about the new Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013)
As you may know, Apple recently shipped their new flagship Mac Pro models. These new machines are based on a new PCIe architecture which changes the way they work with UAD-2 and Apollo hardware.
Apollo interfaces (Apollo DUO/QUAD, Apollo Twin, Apollo 16), UAD-2 Satellite, and UAD-2 OCTO are compatible with the new Mac Pro over Thunderbolt via the firmware update in UAD v7.4.2 and higher.
Unfortunately UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe cards cannot be made to work with the new Mac Pro. See the table below for the full UAD/Mac compatibility list.
Importantly, the UAD-2 OCTO PCIe card requires a qualified Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis for compatibility with the new Mac Pro. UAD-2 Satellite owners, and Apollo / Apollo 16 owners not using Thunderbolt, are able to connect to the new Mac Pro via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.
UAD Product Compatibility* with Apple Mac Computers
|UAD Product||MacBook Air||MacBook Pro||Mac mini||iMac||Mac Pro
|Apollo DUO||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible via
|Apollo QUAD||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible via
|Apollo 16||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible via
|Apollo Twin SOLO||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Not Compatible||Compatible via
v7.4.2 and higher
|Apollo Twin DUO||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Not Compatible||Compatible via
v7.4.2 and higher
|UAD-2 Satellite DUO
(Core, Custom, Flexi, Omni)
|UAD-2 Satellite QUAD
(Core, Custom, Flexi, Omni, Ultimate)
(Core, Custom, Ultimate)
(Core, Flexi, Neve/Nevana)
(Core, Custom, Flexi, Neve/Nevana, Omni)
(Core, Custom, Flexi, Neve/Nevana, Omni)
Before Connecting to the Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Please read the important information below before connecting any Apollo DUO/QUAD, Apollo 16, and/or UAD-2 OCTO to Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013) computers.
About Mac Pro (Late 2013) connectivity
A firmware update is required to enable Thunderbolt connectivity to the new Mac Pro
- UAD v7.5.0 and higher includes firmware for Apollo DUO/QUAD, Apollo 16, and UAD-2 OCTO that enables these devices to be recognized by the new Mac Pro (Late 2013) when connected via Thunderbolt. This firmware has undergone preliminary testing and no issues were exposed, however it is not yet fully tested.
The initial firmware update must be performed with a different computer (or via the Apple FireWire Adapter, per below)
- The initial firmware update in UAD v7.5.0 and higher that enables new Mac Pro Thunderbolt connectivity must be performed while connected to a computer other than the new Mac Pro.
- Exception: This initial firmware update may be performed using the new Mac Pro, with Apollo devices only, when connected via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.
- The initial firmware update can be performed on compatible Mac systems (other than the new Mac Pro, as above) via FireWire or Thunderbolt, or compatible Windows 7 systems via FireWire.
- Subsequent firmware updates can be applied from the new Mac Pro as usual when connected via Thunderbolt or FireWire.
Operation with Mac Pro via FireWire connectivity
- Preliminary testing indicates Apollo DUO/QUAD, Apollo 16, and UAD-2 Satellite can be used with the new Mac Pro (Late 2013) via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. Although no issues have been exposed in early testing, this configuration is not yet fully tested.
- The initial firmware update that enables Thunderbolt connectivity to the new Mac Pro can be performed via the new Mac Pro when connected using the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter.
- UAD-2 OCTO cannot be connected to the new Mac Pro via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter (even when used with a compatible Thunderbolt chassis).
How To Update UAD Firmware for New Mac Pro Compatibility
Follow the procedures below to update UAD devices for Mac Pro (Late 2013) compatibility. Note that the procedures below are shortened for those familiar with UAD operation to get going with the new Mac Pro quickly. For general firmware update information and more detailed instructions, visit the firmware information page.
To update firmware on Apollo DUO/QUAD, Apollo Twin, Apollo 16, or UAD-2 OCTO using a different computer
- Using standard UAD methods, install/connect with UAD v7.4.2 or higher on any compatible computer (Mac or PC) EXCEPT the new Mac Pro.
- Restart the computer when prompted by the UAD installer.
- Update the firmware on the UAD device when prompted by the UAD software.
Note: After installing the software, restarting, and verifying the UAD device is connected and powered, you may need to open the UAD Meter & Control Panel application to get the firmware update prompt.
- After the firmware is updated, the UAD device will be recognized by, and can be used with, UAD v7.4.2 or higher on the new Mac Pro.
To update firmware on Apollo DUO/QUAD or Apollo 16 using the new Mac Pro
- Connect the Apollo device to the new Mac Pro with the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (do not connect with the Thunderbolt Option Card) and apply power to Apollo.
- Using standard procedures, install UAD v7.5.0 or higher on the new Mac Pro and restart.
- Open the UAD Meter & Control Panel application by clicking its icon in the Mac OS X Dock.
- When prompted by the UAD software, update the Apollo firmware. Be sure to turn off Apollo after the firmware is installed on the device.
- After the firmware is updated, the UAD device will be recognized by, and can be used with, UAD v7.4.2 or higher on the new Mac Pro when connected via the Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter or the Thunderbolt Option Card.
Q: Why are the UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe cards incompatible with the new Mac Pro?
A: The new Mac Pros have expanded the PCIe addressing scheme, so you can you have up to 36 PCIe devices in your system (over Thunderbolt, of course). That means that PCIe cards used in that system need to support 36 Base Address Registers in order to be recognized.
The UAD-2 SOLO, DUO and QUAD cards use an earlier generation FPGA that supports 12 addresses, which was the standard implementation until now. The UAD-2 OCTO cards (as well as Apollo/Apollo 16, and both UAD-2 Satellites) are based on a later generation FPGA, which can support 36 addresses with an upcoming firmware upgrade. So it’s really as simple as that. Aside from the new Mac Pros, the SOLO, DUO and QUAD cards are compatible with the rest of the shipping Macs and most PCs.
More Compatibility Information
UAD Device Compatibility
- UAD-2 (PCIe card) Compatibility
- UAD-2 Satellite Compatibility
- Apollo and Apollo 16 Compatibility
- Apollo Twin Compatibility
- Thunderbolt Option Card Compatibility
- UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop Compatibility
- UAD-1 Compatibility
Host Computer Compatibility
Host Application (DAW) Compatibility