About This Page
This page is dedicated to UAD-2 PCIe card compatibility & support. The following information is subject to change and may not always be up to date due to OS and DAW updates, or other factors beyond Universal Audio's control.
Last Updated: May 3, 2016
|Latest News & Updates||Support Videos|
|General Information||System Requirements|
|UA Device Compatibility||Thunderbolt Chassis Compatibility|
|Motherboard Compatibility||About UAD v8 Software|
|Frequently Asked Questions|
Latest Technical News
Please review the information on this page carefully before installing or using UAD-2 PCIe cards.
- (Mac) Important: UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD PCIe cards are incompatible with the newest Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013 model). For details, click here.
- (Win) As of UAD v8.6 software, UAD-2 and Apollo products are tested and compatible with 64-bit editions of
Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.
- (Mac) UAD v8.6 resolved an issue that could prevent UAD-2 PCIe cards from being recognized at startup.
- (Mac) As of UAD v8.5 software, UAD-2 and Apollo products are tested and compatible with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, and 10.11 El Capitan. OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion is no longer tested.
- As of UAD v8 software, UAD authorization is simplified. See About UAD v8 Software below for details.
- Latest UAD software updates
- Create your my.uaudio.com account
- Registration and Authorization
- Offline Authorization
- Troubleshooting Basics
- UAD-2 LED Key
- Complete Uninstall and Firmware Instructions (Mac)
- Complete Uninstall and Firmware Instructions (Windows)
- Main product page – General product information and FAQ
- UAD-2 FAQ – UAD questions that aren't specific to UAD-2 Satellite
- UAD-2 support page index – General information about UAD-2 functionality
- General Compatibility
- Host DAW Application Compatibility
- RTAS, AAX 64, & Pro Tools Compatibility
- UAD Instance Chart
- UAD-2 Powered Plug-ins Basics & FAQ
- UAD Version History & Release Notes
- Software Updates
About UAD v8 Software
New UAD v8 Features
In addition to new UAD plug-ins, UAD v8 features the following enhancements for UAD-2 PCIe cards:
- Compatibility with up to six UA devices
- Simplified UAD authorization (Internet connection required)
Simplified UAD Authorization
- As of UAD software v8, UAD authorization is automatic (Internet connection required). When the UAD software is updated, authorization happens in the background when the computer is started and/or when the UAD Meter & Control Panel application is opened.
- It is no longer necessary to manually authorize after updating UAD software; you can begin working immediately.
- After purchasing a UAD plug-in, the UAD software requires manual authorization. The web store guides you through the process.
- For offline authorization procedures, see the UAD System Manual.
UAD-2 PCIe Card System Requirements
- (Win) Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 (64-Bit Editions)
- (Mac) OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, or 10.11 El Capitan
- 6 gigabytes available storage
- Available PCI Express (PCIe) slot for each UAD-2 card
- Internet connection to download software and authorize UAD plug-ins
- Compatible VST, Audio Units, RTAS, or AAX 64 plug-in host DAW software
- Thunderbolt cable (sold separately)
UAD-2 PCIe Cards
UAD Powered Plug-Ins version 8.6
Note: For important PCIe compatibility information with Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013), click here.
For additional compatibility information, visit www.uaudio.com/support
- Operating systems not listed above are untested. Although untested operating systems may work, they are not supported by Universal Audio. Prior UAD software for older operating systems and discontinued UAD products is available in the UAD software archives.
- (Mac only) UAD-2 PCIe cards can be used with the specific Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis listed below.
- Using Apple's Boot Camp to run Windows 7 on Mac systems with UAD-2 devices is an untested configuration.
UA Device Compatibility
UAD-2 PCIe Card Compatibility
- UAD-2 PCIe cards can be combined with UA devices of any type (UAD-2 Satellite FireWire, UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt,
Apollo FireWire models, Apollo Thunderbolt models, Apollo Twin USB)
- Combining UAD-2 PCIe cards with other UA devices is subject to the compatibility contraints of the other devices
- Refer to the compatibility requirements of the other UA devices for details
UAD-2 (PCIe format) Specifications
- High-bandwidth x1 PCI Express card (PCIe 2.0 compatible)
- UAD-2 SOLO: low-profile, half-height, short PCIe card (4.7” x 2.5” when fully seated)
- UAD-2 DUO/QUAD/OCTO: full-height, short PCIe card (6.6” x 4.2” when fully seated)
- 1, 2, 4, or 8 Analog Devices SHARC floating-point processors
- Multi-device support for up to six UAD-2 devices in one computer
- Supports VST, RTAS, AAX 64, and Audio Units plug-in formats
- 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, and 192 kHz sample rate support
- 14-day full function demo for all plug-ins; try before you buy
Listed below are all currently known PC motherboard compatibility issues with the UAD. No other hardware issues are known at this time. For information on PC software issues, please review the UAD software release notes.
- If you already have one of the below motherboards, we recommend trying the latest BIOS update to find out if any incompatibility issues have recently been fixed.
- If using Apollo in conjunction with UAD-2 PCIe cards, see the Apollo support page for related compatibility information.
Dell XPS 8500 computers are incompatible with UAD-2 OCTO
Symptom: UAD-2 OCTO cards are not recognized when installed in Dell XPS 8500 systems.
The UAD-2 OCTO is incompatible with Dell XPS 8500 systems. UAD-2 SOLO, DUO, and QUAD cards are compatible.
Dell Precision Series 4xx / 6xx (specifically 470 / 670) are incompatible with UAD-2 PCIe
Symptom: Inability to recognize UAD-2 Hardware ID preventing registration and major performance issues preventing any use of the cards.
The UAD-2 is incompatible with the Dell Precision Series 4xx / 6xx (specifically 470 / 670) systems. We do not recommend using the UAD-2 with these systems.
Lenovo X200 / LCS2 is incompatible with UAD-2 SOLO/Laptop
Symptom: Complete system freeze.
We've had user reports of incompatibilities with SOLO/Laptop and this system. We are looking into the issue, and currently do not recommend this configuration until a resolution is found.
Intel DX58SO motherboard is incompatible with UAD-2 PCIe
Symptom: Opening the UAD Meter & Control panel application, or attempting to open a UAD plug-in while a UAD-2 is installed, will completely freeze the system or cause a BSOD.
The UAD-2 is incompatible with the Intel DX58SO motherboard. We recommend choosing a different motherboard for use with UAD-2, as there are currently no workarounds.
Thunderbolt-to-PCIe Expansion Chassis Compatibility
About Thunderbolt-to-PCIe Expansion Chassis Compatibility
- For important information about Apple Mac Pro (Late 2013) compatibility, click here.
- UAD software v6.3.1 (and higher) enables the operation of UAD-2 PCIe cards with Thunderbolt-to-PCIe expansion chassis products.
- The specific chassis products (listed below) are tested in-house to verify compatibility with UAD systems.
- UAD devices are compatible with Thunderbolt only when using Mac OS X. UAD devices are not compatible with Thunderbolt when using Windows operating systems.
- For related information, see the Thunderbolt support page.
Thunderbolt Chassis Operation Notes
- For optimum UAD performance with Thunderbolt-to-PCIe expansion chassis products, connect and power on all Thunderbolt devices before the computer is powered on.
- For optimum Thunderbolt performance, Mac OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion (or higher) is recommended.
- For Thunderbolt 2 information, click here.
Tested Thunderbolt-to-PCIe Expansion Chassis Models
The specific Thunderbolt-to-PCIe expansion chassis models from manufacturers listed below have been tested with UAD-2 PCIe cards. The results of these tests are noted beneath the specific models.
Note: The chassis models below are individually tested to work with UAD-2 cards. Using chassis models from different manufacturers together in the same Thunderbolt chain is an untested configuration.
- Echo Express Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis for PCIe Cards (one slot)
- Echo Express Pro Thunderbolt Expansion Chassis for PCIe Cards (2 slots)
- Echo Express SE II Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis for PCIe Cards (2 slots)
- Echo Express III-D Thunderbolt 2 Expansion Chassis for PCIe Cards (3 slots)
Status: Compatible. All of the above chassis models are tested in-house for use with UAD‑2 PCIe cards. Although other Thunderbolt-to-PCIe chassis models from Sonnet Technologies are not specifically tested, we are not currently aware of any issues with the other chassis models from this manufacturer.
- ExpressBox 1T One-Slot Thunderbolt to PCI Express Expansion Chassis
- ExpressBox 3T Three-Slot Thunderbolt to PCI Express Expansion Chassis
Status: Compatible. Both of these chassis models are tested in-house for use with UAD‑2 PCIe cards.
UAD-2 PCIe Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I learn more about UAD-2 PCIe cards?
See the main UAD-2 FAQ.
Are UAD-2 device drivers compatible with 64-bit operating systems?
Yes. For more information about 64-bit operating systems, please read the following UA Support Report:
64-bit Operating Systems: Separating Fact from Fiction
Are UAD Powered Plug-Ins 64-bit?
Yes. UAD v6.4.0 (Win) and UAD v6.4.1 (Mac) and higher versions include both 32-bit and 64-bit UAD plug-ins.