Support Report: How to Sell, Buy or Transfer Your UAD-1 Card
by Casey Schultheis
It is becoming more common, as UA grows and accumulates a larger user base, for some of our customers to resell one or more of their UAD-1 cards and plug-ins. We are sometimes asked how exactly to do that, and what does Universal Audio's EULA (End User License Agreement) allow?
UAD-1 users may be glad to learn that, unlike most software licenses, which strictly limit resale or transfer, Universal Audios policy provides for resale and a transfer of license.
Anyone who has ever bought and installed software has agreed to an end user license agreement by clicking "agree" during installation. But let's face it, a lot of people simply click "agree" and never read the EULA; they don't think about the limitations the EULA may place on their ability to resell the software. However, UAD-1 users may be glad to learn that, unlike most software licenses, which strictly limit resale or transfer, Universal Audio's policy and EULA provides for resale and a transfer of license. This column includes some typical questions and answers raised by this process, in an effort clear up users' confusion about our EULA and buying, selling or transferring UAD-1 cards.
- Q: I am selling a used UAD-1 card and want to transfer ownership. How do I do that?
- A: To make a request for transfer, use the Transfer Request Form.
All UAD-1 transfers must be validated by Universal Audio customer service. We must verify the correct seller and buyer details before we can re-allocate plug-ins. Once UA customer support has received the proper buyer and seller details, we will make sure all the registered plug-ins are removed from your account and attributed to the new owner.
- Q: I have several UAD-1 cards and plug-in licenses, and want to sell one of the cards. Can I sell the card with my plug-in licenses?
- A: UAD-1 multicard setups, or single cards that have been split away from a group, can be resold and the licenses transferred, and we can facilitate a transfer. However, the license agreed to during installation (hence plug-in authorization) can only exist between UA and a single user. Therefore the UAD-1 transfer policy is all or none, meaning you can either sell a single card with all of your multicard plug-ins, or no plug-ins at all. Plug-in licenses/authorizations can't be shared or split among multiple users. This is because UA can't be responsible for policing which plug-ins were promised and which plug-ins were actually delivered. Once again, before you deliver a second-hand UAD-1 card, you (the seller) use the Transfer Request Form.
- Q: I am thinking about buying a used UAD-1 card. How do I make sure to get the plug-ins I've been promised?
- A: If you are a potential buyer of a used UAD-1 card, please verify with the seller that he is willing to give up all his plug-ins before completing the transaction. UA can't be responsible for policing which plug-ins were promised and which plug-ins were actually delivered. Therefore, the UAD-1 resale and transfer policy is all or none. Unless the seller contacts UA with your details and instructs us to transfer all of his plug-ins to you, assume that you are purchasing an empty UAD-1 card with no plug-ins. In order to use this card, you'll need to register with us at my.uaudio.com and then download the latest UAD-1 software for your OS version along with the plug-in authorization files. You can then buy additional plug-ins at my.uaudio.com whenever you need.
- Q: I'm considering buying a used Studio Pak or Ultra Pak. How do I transfer the plug-in licenses?
- A: Buyer beware. Universal Audio's plug-in transfer policy is all or none. That means the seller has to notify us via e-mail and agree to transfer all plug-in authorizations (for all cards and plug-in bundles) before you can attempt to use even one of them. Otherwise, assume that you are buying a UAD-1 Project Pak. Please make it clear to the seller that he or she must contact UA via e-mail and agree to part with the plug-ins before you conclude your transaction.
- Q: I want to sell one or more of my plug-in licenses without selling my UAD-1(s). Is that possible?
- A: Unfortunately not. We are going the extra mile to help customers resell UAD-1 cards and transfer their plug-ins (or non-plug-ins as the case may be), but we can't get tangled up in the second-hand plug-in business.
Please feel free to discuss these issues with your Mac or PC tech-support specialist.
Questions or comments on this article?